Thursday, March 18, 2010

Exibitionalism

I have found that my generation is prone to the dramatic. Everyone is a model, A photographer, a fashion designer or in a band. Everyones looking for their niche' everyones on myspace and facebook, everyones photos are photo shoped. Everyones faces caked with makeup, everyones angles just right.
Whats the latest fad? Quick follow it. Who's the latest band? Quick buy their ep. Whats the latest fashion? Quick be the first to have it. Everybodys asking the same question, Do you see me? When did looking happy become more important then beig happy? Im not judging, I play the game too, I am in no way superior, I am mearly observant. When did we decide to see someones value based on some elusive points system? When did we belittle friendship to being about music taste or clothing style or general appearance? When did we forget what matters most and choose instead to focus on the minors in life?
Even as I write this I am thinking of my audience, deciding what I should or shouldn't say based on who may read it. Wanting it to sound relevant and edgy. I want to be the kind of person who cares about people. Who always has time for them. Somebody without an agenda. Somebody real and approachable. Somebody who stops everything to help someone who can do nothing back for me. Somebody who doesn't care about all the lies and the popularity contest. Somebody who never values MY image over YOUR happiness.

Smile often
Beth

1 comment:

  1. awesome post. sometimes i think about the generations past and how they struggled with their own versions of today's popularity contests. it make's it all seem a little silly and insignificant don't you think?

    ReplyDelete