Monday, April 26, 2010

Reality Check





A Child.1 Kilometer from a feeding station in Sudan.Stops to rest while a Vulture waits

This photo was taken by Kevin Carter in 1993
It was published by The New York Times on March 26 1993
It won The Pulitzer prize for feature photography on May 23 1994

While this photo brought much needed awareness and in turn aid to the situation in Sudan, Kevin Carter never assisted the child to the feeding station

"The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering, might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene."
-The st Petersburg Times

Kevin Carter killed himself on July 27 1994

At what point do you stop being a Journalist and start being a Human?


Yesterday I got mad because the line at sizzler was to long for my liking
I make myself sick

Smile often
Beth

2 comments:

  1. Woah. Today in class I had an argument with Adel over the lengths I deem appropriate to "get a story". I totally agree with you on this post, this really hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right. It hit home to me too.
    I swear I'm going to go ballistic in the Media Ethics class.

    ReplyDelete