Wednesday, August 11, 2010

strawberries, steak and marshmallows

The smell of juicy couture and aftershave mixed with liquor and fat hangs in the air, an old friend to the senses, reminding me that I am living in the best of times.
It starts with drinks. It always starts with drinks doesn't it? Tonight the setting is hogs breath cafe, the time is 7pm and the drinks have arrived. I'm smiling already.
I think the combined weight of all 4 people at the table would fall below 220kg but that doesn't stop us from ordering the biggest things we can find on the menu, starting with a ridiculously indulgent appetizer to share. The stuffed potato skins, squid rings, friend chicken and spring rolls are devoured in record time as the aforementioned drinks kick in and we quickly descend into hysterics. Nobody makes me laugh like these people.
After a few laughs with the waiter and a sing-along to happy birthday, our main meals arrive. Now the meals at any stake house are a force to be reckoned with, and even with my very feminine choice of a petite order, it was still a mission to finish, all be it a wonderful one.
Some of my friends however, where not quiet as committed, and thus failed in the mission. I still feel for their pain, even today.
From there we decide that, though we are near bursting with food and have certainly exceeded our calorie intake for the week, the best idea is to order the biggest dessert on the menu in one last ditch effort to make certain we feel sick for the rest of the evening. It was amazing, thanks for asking.
The food was all delicious and I'd recommend the place to anyone but that is hardly the point for me. because it's not really about the food is it? That is merely the scrumptious excuse we use to gather with the people we hold most dear. You see the most tantalizing aspect of any night I spend with friends in a restaurant is not the food. Instead it is the people, the rich texture of friendship, the sweet sound of laughter, The old smell of familiarity and memories, all combined to make it clear that this really is the best of times.
Smile often
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment